Sunday, October 4, 2009

Informal Internet Research HW#10

http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/familyresources/a/vidgameviolence.htm

What i found the most interesting about this text was that the study found that when students played more aggressive video games they became more aggressive overtime especially if play for an amount of years. In a way I guess it makes sense because if all you see all day is bullets flying, people dying, and explosions going off your probable either going to get angry or scared which eventually turns into anger over time. Also what i did not find interesting was that both the students who played the violent and non-violent games were aggressive to each other when they played competitively because thats basic human nature. But after reading this article the most shocking thing i found out about the study was that females get more aggressive them males when playing video games in general.

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20040121/Feature1.asp

What I found funny about this text that close to the beginning of it it says that it takes about 50 to 60 hours of intense concentration to finish a complete video game. But in my case for me it takes about 12 to 16 hours, so i guess I can concentrate a lot better then other people. And yet I wonder if this is normal? Now what I noticed which I thought was very intriguing was that the text gave reasons why video games were helpful to some people. For example people with ADD and ADHD the text said it helps these people concentrate a lot better which can help them in school as well as with coping with their disorder. Yet overall I can't see how video games would help kids concentrate in school because they are going to want to concentrate and work on the video game instead of school in retrospect not helping them with school at all. Until the board of Education decides to create a way to combine boring school and entertaining video games to make school equally as fun as a video game only then will these people with these disorders can be pushed to succeed.

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/videogamerevolution/impact/myths.html

Something that surprised me while reading this text was that games were used to train soldiers in the military to kill and that video games are the main cause of the epidemic of youth violence. I mean honestly I find it completely stupid that people can't control themselves to understand that a game is just a game not real life and that they have no reason to be violent to others easily for stupid reasons. Most people form my experience don't understand this and I absolutely hate it. Something else that I discovered after reading this text which was by far the most interesting was that the amount of female video game players is almost out numbering the amount of male players to this day because of that fact that most females are looking for an image to base themselves off of to cope with their problems in life.

-Brendan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment